Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Fear In The Night With Peter Cushing!

The late great Peter Cushing. Looking for a film you have'nt seen him in? Check out his great performance in the little-seen hammer gem "Fear in the night" (AKA "Dynasty of fear") from 1972.




The last of Hammer's "fear" genre, the film was met with mediocre reviews and poor returns. But today the movie stands up as an effective little thriller. Also of note, the film marked Cushing's return to film after the death of his wife, Helen. "The only antidote to that devastation was work. When I could immerse myself in whatever character I was called upon to portray, and thus take refuge from myself" Cushing later remarked.

Thanks to Rand Vossler and his DVD liner notes.

6 comments:

Gary said...

It's amazing how those great english stage actors like Peter Crushing, Alex Guiness, Paul Scofield and others, immediately elevate any material they are in.

Scott said...

Yes! Cushing always played his parts with absolute conviction. Even in "Star Wars" when he's given that tech talk. He really sells it! When he was getting older if the scene required him to fight, he would still insist on doing it all himself. He was, in every sense, a true professional. And I never have heard a bad word about him.

Anonymous said...

Peter Cushing is, of course, one of my all-time favorite actors. In any role from hero to villian he was absolutely convincing.

I've not seen this gem, though. Now I have something else to add to my list!

Scott said...

That's great Mark! That's what this site is all about! Cushing is great in this film. If your a fan, this is a definite must see! Let me know what you think!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.