Monday, February 27, 2006

R.I.P. Darren McGavin

I just wanted to take a quick second and post my condolences about the passing of Darren McGavin.

A long time working actor, in such films as, The Man with the Golden Arm and A Christmas Story, he was first brought to my attention as Karl Kolchak in The Night Stalker T.V. series. McGavin's performance as Kolchak has solidified my long lasting love of the over achieving underdog, the guy who knows he's right but the world just won't listen to him. He always managed to give whatever role he was in a style all his own. He will surly be missed out here in movie blog land as I expect elsewhere....

2 comments:

Scott said...

Mr. McGavin was one of our great character actor's. But most of all, I remember him fondly as Koljack, "The Night Stalker". The recent attempt to bring back "The Night Stalker" as a weekly series was a disaster. Instead of Darren McGavin, they cast a "Ken doll" in the lead role. They just didn't get it. That is not what we loved about "The Night Stalker". We loved the idea of this guy, mustard on his tie, mismatched socks, uncovering conspiracies and vampires. Nobody believes him because he works for a rag of a paper. And because HE WAS the underdog. Darren McGavin played this role to perfection. He was a great talent and will be sorely missed. R.I.P

Scott said...

Just an interesting tidbit: McGavin started his out his career as a painter on movie sets!